As announced during synergy UPM will be introducing Roaming OST & Search Index , below on Citrix Synergy TV Session SYN231 (from 22:01 onwards) a demonstration of the feature.
With the release of Citrix App & Desktop 7.18 and updated UPM version also to 7.18 this is now a reality. Reviewing the What new section of profile management it contains the following:
This version includes the following new feature and addresses several issues to improve the user experience.
Native Outlook search experience
This new feature allows for a native Outlook search experience by automatically roaming Outlook search data along with the user profile. For details, see Enable native Outlook search experience.
Noticeably missing from the “Whats new” for Profile Management is Outlook OST is included in 7.18 which seems rather strange as it probably a bigger draw for people than Outlook search.
The following are the requirements/notable points:-
- Software requirements:
Microsoft Windows 10 1709 (64-bit edition) or Windows Server 2016
Microsoft Outlook 2016 32-bit edition
- Supported Microsoft Windows Search Service (SearchIndexer.exe) versions:
- Concurrent sessions on multiple machines are not supported.
- Outlook OST & Search Index are created per Operating System, so do not roam between HSD (Server 2016) and VDI (Windows 10)
As indicated by Carl Stalhood tweet, a patched 2016 server is not actually supported, but there appears to be private hotfix required to support the new Windows Search Service version but actually the roaming still works with this message appearing.
Installing Profile Management
Step 1: Install Profile Management 7.18 (Can be found on XenApp_and_XenDesktop_7_18.iso, under x64/ProfileManagement or will be installed with VDA 7.1 if profile management is already installed) by launching profilemgt_x64.exe and follow the default prompts.
If you have upgraded your VDA to 7.18 . UPM Component will automatically be upgraded 7.18 as well.
Step 2: Copy the templates to the Group Policy Policy folders
- ctxprofile7.10.0.admx to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinition\en-US (Local) or %logonserver%\sysvol\%userdnsdomain%\policies\PolicyDefinitions\en-US for (Central GPO Store)
- ctxprofile7.10.0.adml to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinition (Local) or %logonserver%\sysvol\%userdnsdomain%\policies\PolicyDefinitions\en (Central GPO Store)
Step 3: Edit Group Policy and browse to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Citrix Components\Profile Management\Advanced Settings:-
Double Click “Enable Search Index Roaming for Outlook”
Step 4: Select “Enabled” to enable the feature, Click Ok
Step 5: Run Group policy update on the VDA Machine/Reboot
Step 6: Log in a normal user (in my case Ctxuser1)
Step 7: Reviewing the User Store for profile management and browsing to User’s (ctxuser1) folder
- “VHD” folder has been created
- One Level down it categorised per Operating System, multiple will be created if using different OS (i.e Server 2016 & Windows 10)
- Finally the two VHD for Outlook OST & Outlook Search Index appear in that folder
Step 8: Reviewing Computer Management/Disk Management confirm you see the two VHD’s attached.
Disk 1 – C:\users\%username%\appdata\local\microsoft\Outlook
Disk 2 – C:\users\%username%\appdata\roaming\citrix\search
Testing Roaming OST & Search Index
Step 1: Open Microsoft Outlook , Click Next to begin setup of profile
Step 2: Select Yes to setup Outlook e-mail account. Click Next
Step 3: Enter the appropriate details to setup the Office 365 account in outlook. Then click Next
- Your Name: in my case WilkyIT
- e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: password for the account.
Step 4: Establishing Connection, Search for the Outlook setting and logging on to the mail server will begin
Step 5: After successful setup, ensure “change account settings” is ticked and click Next
Step 6: Ensure that “Use cached exchange mode” is ticked and click Finish
Step 7: E-mail will begin to be downloaded into the OST file contained in %USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. This is indicated by outlook status bar showing “updating this folder
Step 8: After mailbox full caching is complete , All folders are up to date will indicate this.
Step 9: Log off and Log into an alternative server/machine and Launch outlook. Confirm that mailbox is already populated
Step 10: Open Indexing Options – Outlook -> File, Options , Search , Indexing Options and confirm Search index is not re-indexing and is already complete.
Robert Steeghs has written a great article on permissions required and how the computer account is used when accessing the VHDX.
Please read this article:-